Monday, March 2

Night Game - Christine Feehan

When Special Forces paranormal squadron member Gator Fortenot is tasked with saving Iris 'Flame' Johnson, another victim of the genetic engineer whose experiments distorted Gator's DNA, he can't resist. Drawn to her and familiar with the way her mind works, he must walk a thin line between confrontation and caution to rescue her from a shadowy stalker, her justifiable fear, and the terrible history that haunts them both.
Or something like that. Clearly not the first in a series, Night Game may have been more comprehensible with a fully fleshed back story. Feehan has certainly made an effort to prompt the memories of those who've paused between installment, because there was a fair bit of exposition in the couple of chapters I read. It's not a subtle or particularly good effort, but credit where it's due, she has at least given a nod to the concept.
I suspect, though, that even if I had started with Shadow Game (or possibly Mind Game, I can't tell from the title list which is first) I'd have found the plotting improbable, the characters unengaging and the writing god-awful. Certainly that was the case with Night Game, which I stopped reading at page 58 - not the end of a chapter, or even at a scene change. I don't even think I read through to the end of a paragraph.
That's right, it was just that bad. I think the final straw, worse even than Flame talking aloud to her (absent) nemesis as she stealthily broke into his safe room, was what passed for flirtatious banter between Gator and Flame. I just couldn't take it. If you can, more power to you. - Alex
PS In searching for a sample page I could link to I found a scribd page - one of the "searches leading to this book" was "aching mound," a phrase that's scarily more prevalent on Google than I had thought. If you want to appreciate Feehan you could check out the writing.com entry (that I explored no further) that contains the line "She had moved her wet aching mound toward George’s face, hoping he would reciprocate but alas he turned away from her." Alas indeed. Aaaaaaand I think that's all I need say, except that yes, Night Game is the third in the series

No comments: