Friday, January 26

Holly Lisle: Midnight Rain

An abused wife put her husband in a coma when he tried to kill her and a few years later he is supposedly dead. But she’s receiving threatening phone calls from somebody who sounds exactly like him, somebody with knowledge that only he could have. She is sure she is being watched, that her husband is coming for her and she turns to a sympathetic neighbour for help. He thinks she’s crazy until he starts being threatened as well. But are the threats coming from her ex-husband or is she really crazy? The situation culminates in a bloody climax.
Part romance, part psychological thriller, Midnight Rain gives us an insight into the siege mindset of the abused and the difficulty in learning to trust again.
In spite of its dark content I found Midnight Rain to be a relatively light and easy read. There is tension, sure, but not of the intense, edge-of-your-seat, can’t-put-it-down variety. Although admittedly I don’t find throwing around a couple of buckets of blood to be that scary anymore, it’s been done so often in the horror genre that I feel it’s lost its impact. Others may feel differently.
I saw where the author was going with this story quite early on (and to be fair I think as a reader I was supposed to) and for me it was more of a wondering how Lisle intends to pull this off that kept me going rather than a need to see how the story resolved. Vivid detail and great character portraits are this book’s strong points that carry it over some of the thinner twists in the plot. A good read but not great.-Lynn

No comments: