Thursday, January 11

Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

Although I have enjoyed every Canadian FSF author I've come across thus far, this was my first encounter with the work of Robert Charles Wilson. Recommended for me by Amazon, I forgot all about him until I stumbled across Spin in my localish FSF store. I must confess that I initially confused the author with F. Paul Wilson, who wrote the first FSF novel I ever read, Healer, when I was still a book larvae. When I read the blurb I was intrigued by the premise:
Star gazing one evening, three pre-teen friends (twins Jason and Diane, and the year younger Tyler) see the stars vanish: the world has been separated from the rest of the universe by an unknown race for an unknown purpose.
As the novel switches perspective back and forth between the (novel's) present, recent past, and the last thirty years, from the initial reaction to increasing knowledge, and as their roles in unmasking and managing the phenomenon develop, we are treated to a unique and absorbing vision. The plot unfurls at a steady and pacy rate, the characters develop in consistent but interesting ways, and the non-linear approach serves to tantalise rather than annoy.
My first impulse (after adding it to the pile of books for Lynn) was to seek out other Wilson novels. But after I read this reader response to reading Wilson novels back to back
I've decided to wait a while. And yay! a new blog to occupy my time! - Alex

No comments: