Saturday, May 12

Chill Factor – Rachel Caine

Once again the novel opens with a summation of the plot so far, including: “ I had a really bad week, died, got reborn as a Djinn, had an even worse week, saved the world, sort of… oh, and I died again, sort of. And this time I woke up human.”
Jo’s in mourning for her lost Djinn abilities. But she has no time to grieve – Kevin, a seventeen year old boy abused all his life by his sadistic mother, has seized one of the universes most powerful Djinn and is wreaking havoc on the US. Jo winds up in Vegas, where she has to balance the demands of the Wardens, the Ma’at, and the increasing threat of Kevin.
I think I gave away too much plot in the last Caine review, so will be more brief this time. The series once again delivers – the writing is tight and engrossing, the characterisation consistent but not predictable, and the plots are fresh. After my recent binge I’m going to hold off buying books four and five, at least for a while, but their purchase is inevitable. - Alex

No comments: