Monday, December 25

A Fist Full of Charms - Kim Harrison

Set in a universe where a devastating virus spread via genetically modified tomatoes has wiped out half of humanity, revealing the presence of those who've long lived beside us, the fourth book in this supernatural series about white(ish) witch and former Inderland Running Service agent Rachel Morgan opens with an ambush of Rachel and lone Were colleague David by a pack. I do believe that's my longest opening sentence thus far!
Anyway, the attack draws Rachel into her most complex plot yet - she must locate and destroy a talisman capable of shifting the balance of power between the Were and the vampires, work out how to Were herself, survive any number of attacks by foe, discover a traitor close to home, define her relationship with fabulous vamp Kisten, clarify her relationship with roommate and vamp Ivy, and come to terms with the sad fact that pixies have an all-too-short lifespan.
I wish I'd reviewed this book straight after reading it, because I can't do it justice now. I do remember that I was absorbed by the plot, moved by the moving parts, and prepped for the sequel. Belated New Years resolution - write reviews contemporaneously! - Alex

No comments: