Thursday, December 21

Moon Called - Patricia Briggs

Let me open by saying that I've already written a review for this book, but my computer ate it - so, take two.
In the wake of the phenomenal success of Buffy, the fantasy/horror fiction world has seen an explosion of supernatural fiction, which has overlapped into the romance genre. I've read my fair share of these, from the brilliant to the once great series that have gone one book to far. For now I leave alone the morass of truly god awful dreck - a review for another time, perhaps.
In Moon Called, Briggs has created a viable and unique supernatural reality. In common with many similar works, this world contains a host of preternatural creatures who live alongside a predominantly unsuspecting human population. The fay are governed by the Gray Lords who, seeing that it would not be possible to hide forever, revealed the existence of the lesser fey - the non-threatening, benign or beautiful: sprites, selkies, pixies and the like.
Mercy is not one of these - she is a mechanic, and a werecoyote. After coming across a new, confused and unsupported werewolf she is drawn into an intrigue involving drugged youths being turned against their will (and the transition is highly risky), turf wars between the local pack and a nest of vampires, and has to turn to her estranged foster pack for help.
Mercy is flawed, believable and likable. The plot was unique and well executed, and the characters were internally consistent. In my first review I was more articulate - basically, I like :)
I haven't read any of Briggs's other novels, which I believe are set in a different universe than Mercy's, but I'm seriously considering it, and will absolutely buy the next Mercy novel that comes out (because I have a sense this just the first in a series). - Alex
To read Lynn's review of this book, click here

No comments: