Tuesday, February 27

Evelyn Vaughn: Contact

When a serial killer misses his target a psychic police informant finds herself not only the next person on his hit list but also under suspicion for murder. In order to help bring the real killer to justice and protect herself she must convince sceptical officers that she is not only innocent but also able to identify the real killer using only her psychic gifts and those of her friends.
The book contains a secondary story line about the discovery of two hitherto unknown sisters and that her gift is the result of genetic engineering.
This is a Harlequin Bombshell Category Romance and although I tired of category romance quite some time ago, the Bombshell line is supposedly different in that it focuses primarily on the action rather than the romance. And while that was true of this book, it is also true that the romance elements of the plot suffered from the same problems that had me tire of category romance in the first place.
The hero was the stereotypical overbearing ass. The heroine, when it came to him at least, was one step up from a door mat in that she makes excuses for his overbearing ass ways and in a couple of instances even blames herself for his behaviour. When he does the unforgivable she forgives him, even though he doesn’t come close to apologising. Apparently just because he’s good in bed he can not be lived without. And that must be it because apart from hot sex they don’t seem to have a lot in common. I for one didn’t feel the love.
The secondary story line really didn’t impact on the course of the primary plot to any great degree, though it really could have. The author sets up an interesting scenario early in the book but leaves it hanging only to tie it all up in the final third of the story by having the sisters appear and explain everything. Sure the word count had to be kept down but rather than add anything of substance to the plot the way it was handled simply served to remind me that this is part of a series.
What gives me hope is that the action was quite well written and although I picked who the bad guy was before the big revelation I was kept guessing for over half the book.
I think that the story line was too complex to attempt within the confines of a category work so that the author was forced to take short cuts with character and plot development. I think the writing itself had promise. I think a single title book would really show us what Evelyn Vaughn can do. If she wrote one I would read it.
As for the Bombshell line, I liked it better than the other Harlequin lines I’ve read but I’m not subscribing to the category romance book club just yet.-Lynn

No comments: