Sunday, February 25

I'm a Believer - Jessica Adams

Science teacher Mark Buckle is trying to come to terms with the fact that his girlfriend has just been killed in freak car accident. Her parents don't really like him (they lived together instead of getting married, and he dated Catherine's older sister first), he's somewhat estranged from the funeral arrangements, people send him the most inane cards and tell him that it was either God's will or launch into a series of 'if only's ("if only she'd come over for curry"), and the grief is harder than he thought it would be. Then Catherine starts to visit him.
This is an interesting novel, and I still don't know whether or not I liked it. The main characters grow throughout the book, there are some really nice moments, and it wasn't wholly predictable - I certainly wasn't expecting the twist about September 11. But it was also somewhat bland, and I don't really know what the point of it was. On the other hand, I'm still thinking about it, and that has to count for something! - Alex

No comments: