Thursday, February 1

The Year of Yes – Maria Headley

When Maria Headley set out for New York from her small hometown in Idaho she had a clear picture of her new and glamorous life. But instead of witty cocktails with urbane and glamorous conversationalists, she found herself sharing a small apartment with two housemates, one misanthropic cat and an undisclosed number of cockroaches. One morning, tired of the results that arose from saying ‘no’ to everything, Maria decided to start saying ‘yes’ to all the men who asked her out. ‘Yes’ to dating, that is – not to sex. This is the story of what happened when she started saying ‘yes’.
I bought this because it sounded interesting, exciting, potentially inspiring, and a contrast to my own life. Headley’s style is equal parts arresting, self-involved and congratulatory, and dull. I spent quite a lot of the time I was reading it wondering why I wasn’t becoming involved in the story or engaged with the author, and the overtly literary, look-at-my-erudition (which I acknowledge I have a tendency toward myself) wasn’t the only reason. I was reminded strongly of A Round-heeled Woman, 66 year-old English teacher Jane Juska's memoir of the results of placing an ad in the New York Review of Books' personals column which read "Before I turn 67-next March I would like to have a lot of sex with a man I like." It, too, was a potential glimpse into a different, fascinating, intriguing life, and failed to live up to my expectations.
Memo to self: however good the blurb is, read the first few pages before purchase. I’ve been stung before, and just don’t seem to learn. Still, there are worse things – at least I learned this lesson when it comes to Katie McAllistair*; other authors can only follow. - Alex


* McAllister writes fantastic premises and dismal books – I will review Imperfect English (or, as Lynn and I refer to it, “The English Accent”, as soon as it turns up in the boxes of readness.

No comments: