Thursday, April 12

Ill Wind – Rachel Caine

I really need to be more careful when I decide to delete a draft version, because on this occasion I managed to delete a completed review sans backup.
The elements don’t like people – if it were up to them we’d be gone. But we’re protected by the powerful elite of the Warden’s Association – people with power over the earth, fire, water and/or air. Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden – she has control over wind and water, and is waiting for her Djinn. Selected Warden’s are allocated one of the Association’s rare captive Djinn to help augment their own gifts and training.
But before Jo can think, she’s neck deep in trouble. She’s acquired a demon mark, there are Wardens and malevolent weather after her, and the only one who can help her is Lewis, unique among the Warden’s World Council for having control over all four elements. Unfortunately Lewis has gone into hiding, and he stole three precious Djinn before he vanished.
The reasons Jo’s being pursued is delicately disclosed in discrete chunks throughout the book, and the world is similarly exposed – I really appreciated this approach rather than the more common mounds of exposition common in this genre. The writing is fresh, the underlying paranormal present refreshingly original, and I really didn’t see the two key twists until they were upon me.
This is the first in what (going by the shelf at my local FSF store) is at least a five book series. I can hold out for a while, so it’s not must-read-now! material, but I’m definitely interested in checking out at least book two – Heat Stroke. – Alex

Click here to read Lynn's review of Ill Wind

No comments: