Monday, October 26

Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer

After the events of New Moon Bella and Edward are back in Forks, under the watchful eye of her distrustful father. The sheriff is adamant that she must see people other than Edward, as he is increasingly concerned about the relationship. Bella is living in the future - after graduation Carlisle has promised to turn her, and Edward has not only agreed but will do it himself if she agrees to marry him. She's torn, though, by her friendship for Jacob, and by the enmity between his kind and the family she plans to join.
That's about all I can say about the plot - I made it to page 95 and just couldn't take any more of the fervent, fevered emotion and blind adoration. What tipped me over the edge was a note from Edward to Bella that ended "Look after my heart - I've left it with you" in an elegant cursive script. But there was no shortage of similarly sugary and overwrought sentiment ("black eyes, wild with their craving for my death") leading up to this point, and the writing is predominantly tell over show.
As with my previous experiences of the series, I found the naked adoration disquieting to read, particularly:

My eyes traced over his pale white features: the hard square of his jaw, the softer curve of his full lips - twisted up into a smile now, the straight line of his nose, the sharp angle of his cheekbones, the smooth marble span of his forehead - partially obscured by a tangle of rain-darkened bronze hair...
I saved his eyes for last, knowing that when I looked in them I was likely to loose my train of thought. They were wide, warm with liquid gold, and framed by a thick fringe of dark lashes. Staring into his eyes always made me feel extraordinary - sort of like my bones were turning spongy. I was also a little light-headed, but that could have been because I'd forgotten to keep breathing. Again.

I appreciate this series has a vast and appreciative audience. I don't get it myself, and unquestionably think there's better work in the genre available, but if we all thought alike the world would be a far duller place. I do finally feel as though I've taken enough of a silver bullet for the team, so don't expect to be reading a review of the final installment - Alex

No comments: