Monday, February 23

Kelley Armstrong: Industrial Magic

Someone is murdering the teenage offspring of the sorcerers’ cabals and it falls to a young witch to find out who and put a stop to the killing. With the help of her sorcerer boyfriend, a pair of werewolves, an egocentric vampire and a haunted necromancer she hunts down the killer, discovers what set him off on his murderous rampage and puts an end to it once and for all.
While not a part of a series in the strictest sense of the word this is the fourth book set in this world and it reintroduces characters from previous stories and continues with threads from earlier books. It was nice to revisit past characters and meet up with new ones that I expect to see more of in future works.
The plot was straightforward but it contained enough twists and action to keep from becoming too predictable. My one complaint is that about three quarters in the story takes a turn for the ridiculous. (I can’t be more specific without spoilers.) I feel that the episode was unnecessary and stretched the bounds of even a fantasy world too far. The story does get back on track but by then I felt its integrity had been compromised. If the scene had to be included I think it would have been better played out by a different character.
For all that I did enjoy Industrial Magic and hope that the plot point in question was an anomaly. I would read more stories set in this universe unless I found the unbelievable became a regular feature.-Lynn

No comments: