Sunday, September 9

Confidence Woman - Judith VanGieson

The third mystery involving librarian/archivist Claire Reynier begins with a reflection on the concern of many older, single people - dying alone and only being found because of decomposition. That's what happened to Evelyn Martin, one of Claire's sorority sisters (a sobriquet she hates) from almost thirty years ago. More shocking for Claire, who's had little to do with Evelyn in that time except for a visit almost a year ago, is the discovery that Evelyn was behind a case of credit card fraud and identity theft perpetrated on Claire some months earlier, as a result of Claire letting Evelyn stay with her for a few days.
It emerges that Evelyn dd the same thing t a number of other old college friends, and she stole something meaningful - and sometimes valuable - from each of them, too. College life in general, and sorority life in particular, had not been kind to Evelyn; the fraud was considered and planned, and her motive seems to have been revenge as much as opportunistic profit. From Claire she took a valuable, signed first edition minor work by Moby Dick author Herman Melville.

When the evidence begins to point to her, with no little assistance, Claire has to investigate the death herself, and some of her oldest friends are the chief suspects.
This was my first Claire Reynier novel, and my introduction to Claire was seamless. The main character is defined and clear, and the story was absorbing, though the mystery wasn't particularly tangled, which I found a refreshing change of pace from other recently read (and overly intricately plotted) mysteries. I particularly like novels about revisiting school days, which may even be why I bought Confidence Woman in the first place - I don't remember. I'm taking a break from library books while I travel, and have finally returned to making some inroads in my unread collection. But if, when I return home, I discover the library has Claire Reynier novels, I'll put them on the list. - Alex

No comments: