Monday, September 3

Feral - Kerry Greenwood

Xan's a trader, sailing up and down the river to barter goods on behalf of her family. She slips between the dialects of each settlement, from her own Gan Eden, the Sisters of St Mary McKillop, the River Rats and all.
Sasha LaTrobe's one of the University elite - son of a Professor, he's allowed to roam the grounds rather than being tied to a virtual reality program like the students. He has a terrible secret, though, one that could get him killed.
Feral is the sequel to Cave Rats, which I sadly have not yet read. It's set in the same time, but with different characters, to while reading the other book might help flesh out a few details, I don't think it seriously compromised my enjoyment of the novel, my first of Greenwood's YA books. As alway, I really admire her writing - the characterisation is deft and deep, the plot is familiar (post-apocalyptic tyrany) but uniquely wrought, and there's a twist at the end that I really didn't see coming but the clues of which had been scattered through the text from the beginning. Thanks to my local library, I have a whole new Greenwood series of universes to explore! - Alex

No comments: