Monday, March 10

The World According to Clarkson - Jeremy Clarkson

This is the first collection of Jeremy Clarkson's weekly column in the Sunday Times, and spans the beginning of 2001 to the end of 2003, as well as a plethora of topics from the demise of Concorde through the bane of overseas travel, the perils of the EU, and an ongoing minor diatribe about His Tonyness (former PM Tony Blair).
I had only known Clarkson from Top Gear, the car program that I sadly only discovered early this year but have now ardently leapt upon the bandwagon of. I really could have constructed a better sentence, but onwards! I so enjoy Top Gear that I've embarked on a minor avaricious devourment and have therefore bought or borrowed pretty much every Top Gear DVD. I am now going to work my way through the works of the presenters, Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond (all of whom write weekly columns for various English newspapers).
Jeremy Clarkson has an amusing, semi-involved voice, and the essays are predominantly quintessentially English. I don't think I could read the whole thing from cover to cover in an uninterrupted sitting, but this was a lot of fun to dip into, and I'm looking forward to doing the same with the next collection. - Alex

No comments: