Tuesday, October 30

Mistress of Justice - Jeffrey Deaver

Paralegal Taylor Lockwood really wants to play jazz piano, but works as a paralegal to appease her lawyer father and plays piano at night to please herself. When attorney Mitchell Reece seconds her to help him find a vital document, stolen from his office safe in the few hours he wasn't at work, it seems like an interesting diversion. But the deeper in she gets the more complicated everything becomes - the firm is in the midst of a leadership challenge, secrets and rivalries are rife, and then someone's killed.
I borrowed this thinking that, because I hadn't read it before, it must be new. Wrong - it's a re-release of one of Deaver's pre-Rhyme novels, originally published in 1992 and therefore a little dated (mostly the references to mobile phones and internet access) but still involving. I really wish I'd written this review when it was all a little fresher in my head, because I can't remember all the specifics now. Not bad, not brilliant, an entertaining diversion from the maelstrom of my professional life last week. - Alex

No comments: